Xero has done away with Device AUSkey to make getting started with Xero Tax even easier
More than 1,400 registered agents are using Xero Tax or Xero Practice Manager to prepare and lodge income tax returns and activity statements for their clients every day. Since October 2013, more than one million forms have been lodged by registered agents using our online tax lodgment engine.
Previously, registered agents were required to upload a device AUSkey into Xero Tax in order to submit activity statements and non-individual income tax returns. Good news. As of today, that process is no longer needed. We’ve incorporated the ATO’s new cloud software authentication and authorisation (CAA) process into Xero, which has made setting up Xero Tax and Xero Practice Manager a lot simpler and faster.
You can now set up Xero Tax and connect it to the ATO using any device. You don’t have to worry about changing your password for AUSkey, or about it expiring. What’s more, AUSkey in the cloud is fully supported by the ATO and complies with their guidelines.
Enabling cloud authentication
It takes less than five minutes to enable cloud authentication.
In Xero Tax, simply:
- Log in to Xero Tax or Practice Manager.
- From Client Settings, select Agent Profile.
- Update the agent profile.
- Note the Software ID number.
Then complete these steps:
- Contact the ATO on 1300 852 232.
- Provide your registered agent number.
- Let the ATO know you’re using Xero Tax to lodge income tax returns and activity statements.
- Provide the ATO with the Software ID number that’s shown on screen.
- Once the ATO has confirmed your details, mark the checkbox.
Now you’re ready to lodge using Xero Tax.
Important information: This content has been prepared without taking account of the objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular individual. It does not constitute formal advice. For this reason, any individual should, before acting, consider the appropriateness of the information, having regard to the individual’s objectives, financial situation and needs and, if necessary, seek appropriate professional advice.